Workout tracking apps have become hugely popular in recent years as more people focus on health and fitness. Behind the simple user interfaces of many of these apps lies sophisticated machine learning technology that provides personalized insights and recommendations for users. In this blog, we’ll explore how artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms power modern workout trackers and fitness apps.
Machine Learning Fuels Your Workout Tracking Experience
Many of today’s best workout trackers like Train Fitness AI, Strava, Nike+ Run Club, Adidas Running by Runtastic, and Train Fitness AI use machine learning to enhance the user experience. These apps can track metrics like speed, distance, duration, heart rate, and calories burned for various activities. By leveraging the huge volumes of data from all their users, machine learning models can find patterns to provide customized feedback and coaching.
For example, the Train Fitness AI app uses your workout data and an AI model trained on over 100 million workout logs to provide personalized training plans tailored to your unique goals. The more you use the app, the more it learns about your habits, strengths, and weaknesses to refine its recommendations. This type of personalized adaptive planning powered by machine learning is transforming how both recreational and competitive athletes train.
Here are a few key ways machine learning impacts your daily use of workout tracking apps:
- Customized Insights: Apps can provide targeted insights, metrics reports, and performance summaries that are customized for each user based on their training history and goals. These personalized reports highlight areas of progress and needed improvement.
- Improved Tracking Accuracy: Machine learning models can improve the accuracy of metrics like distance, speed, and calories over time by incorporating data from GPS, pedometers, and fitness trackers. Apps learn a user’s stride length and performance to provide increasingly precise stats, especially for outdoor activities where GPS connectivity can vary.
- Personalized Workout Recommendations: Based on your workout history, performance data, and fitness targets, apps can suggest customized training plans, routes, and workouts tailored to your needs. Recommendations get more intelligent over time based on your progress.
- Adaptive Notifications: Apps with machine learning can learn your habits and schedule to send you the right notifications at the right times to keep you motivated to work out and on track toward your goals. Notifications may highlight when you’re behind your usual routine or suggest pre-planned workouts to try.
- Continued Learning and Progress: Machine learning models continue to expand their knowledge by analyzing new data from millions of users and workouts. This continuous learning then translates into new features, enhanced accuracy, improved insights, and an ever-smarter user experience over time. The more you use an app, the more customized it becomes.
Using a Workout Tracker App: How It Can Help You
Workout tracker apps provide both recreational exercisers and competitive athletes with a simple but powerful set of tools to monitor, improve, and share their fitness progress.
Here are some of the main benefits of using a workout tracking app:
• Stay on schedule with customizable training plans, notifications, and reminders. Apps keep you accountable to your workout routine.
• Record all your fitness activities in one place, including runs, bike rides, yoga, strength training, and more. Track your performance and progress over time to stay motivated.
• Set goals like distance, duration, speed, or calorie targets and track your progress. Some apps offer goal training plans to help you achieve your targets.
• Get customized insights and stats related to all your workouts. See metrics like miles run, average speed, calories burned and get guidance on how to improve.
• Share your workouts and connect with friends to stay each other motivated. Some apps provide leaderboards and challenges to compete with other users.
• Track additional metrics like heart rate, elevation gain, and cadence with bluetooth heart rate monitors and tracking sensors. Compatible apps can provide an even more personalized experience.
• Access your workout data anywhere via the mobile apps and websites. Your data is stored in the cloud, so you can check on your performance and stats at any time.
• Export your workout data to other fitness apps and sites. Some apps play nice with Apple Health, Strava, Fitbit, Garmin Connect, and more. Your data belongs to you, so you decide where and how to share it.
The role of machine learning in powering AI workout trackers and fitness apps will only continue to expand in the coming years. But at their core, these technologies are simply tools meant to help motivate you, provide guidance, and give you actionable insights to achieve your health and fitness goals. The human side of motivation and mental dedication is still up to you! By understanding how these apps work and learning to use them effectively, you can build sustainable long-term workout habits.